Friday, April 29, 2011

sushi, salad, crepes and green tea

This morning's free lunch had disappointed me. So I went down to Purple Peanuts and Choix creperie by tram. I had seen them before when I tried the PerkUp cafe in the same area. The tram stop is outside in Spencer st. The two restaurants are at the upper end of Collins st, near Docklands. I have read many good things about these two places. They are recommended by the Age as "cheap eats"
1) Purple Peanuts- I had ordered a Veggie Soba salad ($11.90 with Miso soup), green tea ($3) and sushi roll ($2.50 each). The veggie soba salad was ordered on a recommendation by someone from Urbanspoon.com. I really enjoyed the salad. The salad was made freshly, but I didn't quite get the chilli sauce on the bowl.  This is fared much better than the Tomodachi version.
I also loved the miso soup, because it was not from a package, but made freshly with lots and lots of vegetables. There's not much MSG in this.
The green tea tasted little bit strange and not like green tea. When I drink green tea, I like it to be strong with lots of flavour.
The sushi was superb.



My miso soup which tasted like it was homemade


I loved the decor. It was warm and very inviting (reminds you of Japan).The downside of this is that the restaurant is really cramped and I was elbowed twice when someone wanted to get by. The table was really small. Luckily there is outdoor areas and on a nice sunny day like today, you can sit outside. The staff here are very friendly and I donated all of my change into the jar for the Japanese Earthquake.
They are a vegan friendly cafe, offering most of their meals as vegetarian.

Now on to the dessert:

2) Choix Creperie- I had the AC/DC crepe ($8.50) and proper Green tea ($3.80 for one). The pot looked really big but it wasn't filled all the way.

Choix Creperie Café on Urbanspoon
The crepe came without Ice cream. I like my sweet crepes to have ice cream. But the filling and the crepe made up for it. This fared better than the Pancake Parlour version of it.
They also have curry and sandwiches.
The downside of this is that there is too much music and it should be a bit quieter like Roule Galette. But I liked the dim lighting though.

I would come back to these two places with many of my friends for a night out.
Purple Peanuts Japanese Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...