Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lunch at Threshermans Bakehouse and dessert at Brunettis

I went for lunch at Threshermans Bakehouse. I have read that this bakehouse is famous in Melbourne. This place is about five minutes walk away from Melbourne Uni and the Melbourne Uni tram stop. You can take any tram that goes to Melbourne Uni and get off at the terminus. From RMIT city campus it is about 10 minutes by tram.
You probably can't see the ant on the floor but it was there! I took a picture of this just to show you how bad their hygiene is here. They also had a dirt mark on one of their cups and another on one of their forks.










The plate's probably too big for the quiche



Here at Threshermans everything is baked on site everyday. All the meals threr are less then $10, hence it is only cash only. You can buy cakes and breads to take home. A bowl of salad is $4. The cake pieces are huge and they are between $2-$4. Here they have gluten free muffins and meals. There is also a huge selection of vegetarian meals.
Here it is a bit cramped because of the way that the communal tables are placed.
The lady with the brown teeth was pleasant, but the guy that served me when I asked for more water for my tea gave me a dirty look. Here's a tip for you sir: next time when I ask you for more water, don't give me a dirty look like as if my dog just peed on your lawn.
Today I had a small chickpea and greek salad ($4), a mini quiche ($0.70) and a green tea ($3 or $4?). The green tea was the Chinese sort and was a bit meh.
But what I did like was the salad and the quiche. The quiche was a little bit soggy, but the filling was nice. The salads were freshly done and I liked the fact that they did not have any dressing in it. The feta cheese was not too crumbly which was nice.
When I went to the toilet... I noticed the ant on the floor. Here's another tip: CLEAN YOUR TOILETS before people can use them.
No visit to Carlton is complete without Italian dessert. So I went across the road to a place called "Brunettis". This is my favourite place in Carlton. By the way Carlton does not feel the same without Borders. Borders has closed and so there is a bit of an emptiness about it.
Brunettis is a must visit place for all visitors to Melbourne. They are known for their sweet cakes and coffees. Here I had a cake and ice cream sampler that was about $13.50. In this sampler I had a tiramisu ice cream, cannelloni, Tiramisu macaroon and a fruit tart. These are small bite sizes, but I loved it all.   The tiramisu was yummy and not too coffee like. The hazelnut cake is lovely. It is annoying how I had to go to another counter to get my ice cream.


The tiramisu macaroon is not as nice as the one in Cacao. Here this one is a little bit too crumbly and didn't have much flavour to it.
The fruit tart was just ok.
No kudos to the waitress who did not smile when she took my order and who then had to ask someone else about my tiramisu ice cream and then told me to pay for it and get it elsewhere within the cafe. They should serve it straightaway and I should be allowed to pay for it altogether.
I would recommend this as a good place to visit. You should at least visit Lygon st once during your studies. There are lots of Italian restaurants and eateries here.
Brunetti on Urbanspoon
Thresherman's Bakehouse on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...