Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sex attack at uni


A student at RMIT Bundoora campus was sexually assaulted at night time. This doesn't happen a lot at the city campus as there are many people there. But because Bundoora is isolated there is more chances of students being sexually assaulted.

This student is female and Muslim, hence the hi-jab.

" I was assaulted at night when I was going home from the campus. I could have taken the bus ride home, but I din't want to spend any money on public transport as it was expensive."

" At nighttime there were not that many buses in my area. They came only one every half hour. If I missed one then I'd have to wait for the next one. My bus stop is not well lit and sometimes my bus come really late."

"I don't have a car at the moment as cars are very expensive here."


" One day I was walking home and a group of Australian men came up to me and asked about the time. Well I thought that it was genuine and they did not know the time so I gave it to them. But instead of them driving away they assaulted me".

" At the time campus security was scarce".

" They dragged me into their car".

" They called me names like pig and told me to go back to my country. They also touched me in my private parts. They unbuttoned my shirt. I was really scared and there was no one else around as they all went home earlier on. I had classes until 8pm that day and it was winter.".

"In the end my friends came along and I ended up getting a lift with them. I was really embarassed about telling them what had happened. When I got home I started crying. I didn't know that I could approach the police because back home the police were a military force and I was really scared".

Melbourne, Victoria when will we get our concession cards? Its not fair that the locals get them. Our safety gets jeopardised. We should also have more buses more often as many Internationals come to study here and can't afford their own car.

As for RMIT, please introduce courtesy buses for Bundoora campus free for all students for late at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...