Friday, May 2, 2014

Anglers Tavern

Anglers Tavern is in Maribynong Park. I have walked past this place several times on a Sunday or a late afternoon. The place always looked very lively in the beer garden.


Menu

Cake display

Front Counter

View of the Maribynong River

A hamper for a Mother's Day prize draw

They are renowned for seafood, rather than meat.

But the place was very expensive, so when I saw the offer in the Entertainment book (see editors note below on you can purchase a book from us), I thought that I might just give it a try.

So I did during the week.

The blonde haired lady was lovely. But the brunette was a little bit surly. She did not smile one bit when she took my order. What's really confusing (and I know that this does not happen in many bars) is that there is one counter for food and the other for drinks. It's really confusing for out of towners and irregular visitors such as myself. Someone please explain the system or at least put some signs on every table.

Oh and the bathrooms smelt like ice cream. They hadn't been cleaned properly as it was very sticky.


I ordered fish and chips (normally $23, but with the EB voucher $11.90) and a lemonade ($4 which came in a huge glass).

The fish was overcooked as it had that slight rubbery, tough feel to it. I think it was a flake. I didn't really enjoy the tartare sauce as it didn't have any taste. But I did like the chilli sauce though. The chips were cooked perfectly and were salted well.

Well at least the fish was fresh.

But the small salad was limp as it was underneath the oily fish. The only thing that I liked about the salad was the onions.

Verdict: Anglers Tavern isn't your typical pub. Rather it is more of a seafood place.  I do not know why so many people put this place down on Urbanspoon. Fairly good pub fare for the price that I paid.

I would love to come back on a Sunday and spend some time in their lovely beer garden watching the AFL.

Editor's note: Anglers Tavern is in the Entertainment book and they are offering a buy one get one free. If you want this offer and other offers, do visit our page to purchase the book online.
Anglers Tavern on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...