Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Oriental teahouse

Oriental Teahouse is in South Yarra and it is in between a tram stop and a train station.

Menu

Display showing the winter specials

Recently I signed up to the email newsletters online and received a free lunch dish. You can choose out of five of them and you are only supposed to choose one each. You have two weeks from the time that the email was sent to use this.
I remembered trying their teas on many occasions. This is just an old photo.

So on a quiet work day I dropped in for a spot of afternoon tea. I also wanted to sample their teas.
The bar


Cutlery


A few years back I came to try their lunch dumplings. Since then things have changed. It now has an upstairs bar Zhou Zhou (run by the same guy, David Zhou).

The place smelt like vinegar but the lady that served me was lovely. I think she is a uni student. The food seemed a little on the slow side.

I had the China Green tea ($4) for one cup and it was great.  It wasn't too strong, but it had that green tea flavour.
But the nai wong bao dumplings were good though ($6.80 for 3 which I think is a bit pricey seeing as you can get them in box hill for $1.70 each). You could easily see the custard on top.

For my free lunch dish I had the sweet potato with red bean dumplings and ice cream. It was supposed to be vanilla, but it seems that they ran out. They gave me toffee flavoured ice cream instead, which didn't really work that well with the sweet potato dumpling. Oh well these dumplings are great for winter.

Verdict: this place is waaay better than the one in the city. It doesn't have that commercialized feel that Melbourne Central does. It is a lot more cozy and if ever you are in Chapel st do visit this place.

Oh and do sign up for their free newsletters via their blog as you will get a free lunch.
Oriental Tea House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...