Friday, June 27, 2014

Cooking class at South Melbourne Market



I was invited by GRAM Magazine and South Melbourne Market.

GRAM Magazine is a ultra cool indie magazine that talks about all things cool about Melbourne and events in Melbourne. It is a free magazine which can be collected from many cafes in Melbourne.

South Melbourne Market hosts regular cooking classes that costs anywhere between $55- $125. This was a masterclass that I was invited to and this one was run by John Lawson of Number 8 restaurant in Crown.
John Lawson is an English chef who worked with Gordon Ramsey. He is a humble guy who loves simple food. He is also used to some of the negative criticism online. John always tastes his food before service

During the class and dinner I met up with some of the other foodies and actually mingled with the table. Unlike Joyce from MEL: HOT OR NOT who didn't. The aim of these intimate classes is to mingle with the fellow foodies over good food and wine. But Joyce and I mingled with the chef as well.

John loves to use local produce and he wasn't afraid of showcasing it.
Broccoli pollen which is a garnish in itself. I have never really tried this

John showcased the five course menu which he normally does in Number 8. We also tasted raw celeriac that tasted like young licorice.

First up was bread and butter and a cheese which I have never tried. I really loved the wheat bread as I kept coming back for more. The butter is homemade but salty.

Second course: Baked salmon with celeriac and apple salad. This dish is on their menu for $36. The fish was fresh and the celeriac was very creamy. John used the canola oil which is used at Number 8.

The fish is normally cooked at room temperature.  This fish is from Lakes Entrance.
Wagyu beef

The baby carrots

Cabbage


Third course: Wagyu beef with vegetables and bacon. This is a rustic dish which reminded of Country Victoria and Bendigo.  Now I'm not normally a fan of eating meat outside but John Lawson did a brilliant job of the meat. Meat when cooked well and sourced well is good. John sources his meat from Felice's in Elwood.


John did a really good mash which was creamy in texture and very buttery and salty in flavour. He also did the baby carrots justice as I came back for more of these. I was too full for more meat but I did enjoy the smokiness of the bacon and the tenderness of the wagyu. I also loved the saltiness of the brisket

Fourth course: Rice pudding with truffles. Now I have never actually tried truffles before so I can't really comment on it too much other than to say that it was a little sourish in the dessert

Fifth course was just chocolate with passionfruit praline. What a lovely way to finish the meal.

Many thanks to South Melbourne Market for having me and I hope that Joyce writes her own post about this.

NB: John has a Moet and Chandon event for $65 on Tuesday the 8th of July at his restaurant. My bet is that it will be sold out soon so do book now.

Btw a little birdy said that the Fat Duck in Melbourne has about 1500 seats and they are almost sold out. There is about 50 seats left.

The Address:
No. 8 by John Lawson (number 8) on Urbanspoon
Editors note: Number 8 has an offer in the Entertainment Book for 25% off the total bill. You can buy the book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...