Friday, March 27, 2015

Viva Multicultural festival and Taste of Harmony Picnic

As part of Bupa's best blog competition for 2015
RNIS was invited to the Taste of Harmony Picnic by Refugee of Hope via their Facebook page.

Refugee of Hope is a group that works with International students mainly Latin America and Columbia, but this year they are hoping to have more cultures included. The Refugee of Hope provides a lot of assistance to newcomers by providing free food (in the form of a parcel), meetups such as this and other events. They also come to the Couch on a regular basis.

I met up with the lady that runs the program and she is lovely.

Across the river from the picnic was the Multicultural festival and here they had a lot of things going on. They had all of their arts and crafts as well as food galore. I didn't buy any food there as I was saving some stomach room for the picnic.
Clothes

Tacos from Los Amartes

Some sort of fried sticks

Menu

Pretzels from Bretzel.biz

Another menu


At the picnic I ate a fair bit and it was a good chance to mingle and learn about Columbian food. I learnt about their desserts and drinks all of which it is homemade. I guess that you can say that some of the Columbian food is very similar to the Mexican style food. I really enjoyed the rice pudding which someone brought in.

I also tried this Columbian drink which had fresh coconut juice and water and it was divine.

The torta was good but the cream was sickly sweet. I also liked the chapatis that the African guy brought in. It was not too oily as some of the Indian food is.

The chips dish with this weird sausage was fine without the sauce.
Pizza

The food

Jenga

Alcoholic shots

Some sort of Colombian dessert


I of course brought something in and that was pretzels and rice crackers. Some of the bars in Melbourne feature these snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...