Friday, April 24, 2015

Aya Teppanyaki

RNIS purchased a $38 Groupon for their Teppanyaki meal worth $76.

Aya is a five minute walk from Armadale train station and is on vibrant High St. They are busy at night but never on a Friday lunchtime. I wonder why.


There was one lady and the teppanyaki chef. I came around 12:30pm and booked it thinking that it was busy. When I booked it on the phone I mentioned that I was pescatarian but they forgot until I reminded them.

I wondered why I needed to book when the place was dead quiet.

The miso soup was stock standard. There is waay too much seaweed and not enough tofu. There was only one cube.

The house salad was nice but there was waaay too much dressing. A lot of it was wasted and there was a huge puddle.
House salad
The oil puddle

And then the entree plate which included karrage chicken and not my requested tofu... WHAT the? I had to ask the lady and she did not offer to replace it. Luckily I didn't mind a little bit of meat and had a small nibble. The karrage was nicely fried.

But the salmon on the other hand although fresh, was not cut properly. In fact I had to chew through the fatty bits. But the edamame was nicely salted and cooked well.
Sauces


Then the fun part... the teppanyaki. My teppanyaki chef was friendly and fun and loved cooking my food. He also loved making small talk. Because it was a Friday lunchtime and I was the only one there, there was hardly any smoke. And the restaurant was clean.

Everything was freshly cooked including the calamari. I liked the prawns with the hot sauce. The fish was a little bit tough. I really enjoyed the lemon sauce on everything. The mixed vegetables were good.

The tofu was very addictive with its garlic sauce

The fried rice was cooked just right but my only gripe is that it had a little bit too much sauce on there.

The vanilla ice cream was rock hard. It was sooo cold. I would have preferred the green tea one though.

Rating: 13/20- it was alright I suppose. But if I were to choose between that and Tokyo Teppanyaki I would choose to go to Toyko teppanyaki as that is much better. But I suppose for Armadale residents this is an alright choice.

I would love to see what Ming from Sweet and Sour Fork thought of this as this is right up their alleyway.
Aya Teppanyaki Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...