Monday, February 8, 2016

Orient East

RNIS was invited to attend the beergustation dinner which was normally $65 for eight courses with beer.

Orient East is a Malaysian eatery on St Kilda road. It is in the Seasons Hotel near Domain Interchange. It is also outside the Shrine of Remembrance.

The event was hosted by Brewcult and Wolf of the Willows.

The service was very friendly and many diners turned up. It is a small place. I think I saw David Hagger from the World Loves Melbourne and a few other bloggers. But the waitress forgot the table next door's wine once and they forgot my beer one time. Luckily I wasn't drinking much just tasting.







The first course was pearl dumplings. Here they popped in the mouth. The beer was very appley and sweet tasting.

The second beer was a little bit like weed and I didn't like it. But the coconut rice and the beef was really good. I would one day like to try their nasi lemak if they have.

The third course was a single chicken wing with golden sand (no it wasn't really golden just egg yolk crumbs). It was nicely fried but lacked the spiciness of the curry.

Then there was a breather and that was a broccoli tree with kale which was nice. I really enjoyed eating the kale as it had that nuttiness about it.

The fourth thing which I loved was the Dan dan noodles. I loved the spiciness about it and it worked well with the crispier tasting beer (which by the way tasted like apple).

The fifth thing was the lamb ribs and pastry with five spice filling inside of it. We were given a darker beer which tasted like medicine and really bitter. I hate bitter type beers. But I loved the lamb ribs and pastry. The lamb ribs was cooked well and the meat fell off the bone.


Lastly the Chinese duck was really good and it worked well with the taro (which I thought tasted like liver) and kumquat jelly.

Rating: 17/20- good meal though I had skipped the last two courses as I had to be somewhere else. By that stage I was full, but many thanks for having me Orient east.
Orient East Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...